Solar and Wind Applications
Helical Foundations for Solar and Wind Applications
Supporting Renewable Energy from the Ground Up
What started in 1912 as an entrepreneurial venture to anchor telephone poles evolved into the creation of the world’s leading manufacturer of helical piling, anchoring, and earth retention systems. As a business unit of Hubbell Power Systems, CHANCE® is recognized around the globe as the preeminent producer of helical foundation products engineered for multiple applications, including the construction of solar and wind energy systems such as small wind turbine foundations and foundations for solar panels.
We take pride in our unsurpassed ability to custom-engineer helical solutions to satisfy the unique requirements of each individual project. Our site-specific, modular component systems are designed to perform in most soil conditions, in any locale. They can be installed quickly and they’re environmentally conscious, as well. Hubbell Power Systems is ISO9001 Certified, which ensures that each and every product shipped meets the highest quality standards.
Helical versus Concrete and Driven Piles
Because helical piles work well in both compression and tension, they are ideally suited for conditions inherent to energy-related construction sites, particularly those associated with foundations for solar panels.
When it comes to our small wind turbine foundation design, one example would be the uplift created by wind and/or adfreeze forces (adfreeze forces are created when frozen ground causes negative skin friction along the pile shaft). CHANCE helical piles are the preferred method when foundations have to withstand the tension wind can cause.
Another advantage of using helical piles is the lack of spoils from contaminated soils and the ability to avoid grading and other ground disturbances. As developers of alternative energy projects will attest, it is important to maintain the sites as naturally as possible. For large installations considering the use of concrete, using a CHANCE piling system, instead, eliminates the need to build a batch facility. Unlike concrete, helicals do not require the use of water, a critical and threatened resource.
The sustainable design of helical “screw” piles means that they can be re-used or easily recycled. CHANCE piles can be removed from the soil unlike treated timber or concrete piles, which are generally abandoned.
Facts You Should Know
- In manufacturing its CHANCE helical pile system, the company processes more than 100 million pounds of domestic steel annually at its Centralia, Missouri-based facility. We’re proud to be able to say “Made in the USA.”
- CHANCE helical foundation products are backed by a 30-year product warranty .
- CHANCE product type SS5, SS175, RS3500 and SS175/RS3500 Combo Helical Piles are evaluated by the International Code Council’s Evaluation Services. ICC-ES Report ESR-2794 reports the conditions under which these products comply with IBC 2015, 2012, and 2009.
- Hubbell Power Systems is ISO9001 Certified, ensuring that each and every CHANCE anchor /foundation shipped meets the highest quality standards.
- The CHANCE Alliance Network includes 19 exclusive distributors and more than 1,400 certified installers over 400 (is this number correct) contractor locations throughout North America.
- CHANCE employees represent over 11,000 years combined experience in engineering and manufacturing.
- CHANCE manufactures using low-impact recycled materials, avoiding those which damage human health, ecological health, and those which deplete resources.
- CHANCE is the only helical manufacturer with an ICC-ES accredited laboratory. The lab is fully equipped to conduct torsion, tension, compression and lateral load tests on helical pile products.
Ease and Speed
An advantage credited to helical piles is the inherent ease and speed of installation. CHANCE helical piles are the answer for reducing project construction time and saving on energy, consumption of resources, and reduction of the contractor’s carbon footprint.
At CHANCE, “engineering excellence” isn’t just a phrase; it’s a way of doing business. For example, a key consideration in the use of helical piles for solar applications is the customized nature of the base plate connection between the pile and the panel. That’s where CHANCE engineers excel. We have a reputation for close collaboration between our engineers and our customers to design customized connections and pile configurations to solve the challenges created by varying soils and weather conditions. Our priority is to engineer a foundation sufficient to resist all applied loads while still allowing for quick and easy installation. For one recent project, our engineers went so far as to develop a new drive tool to work specifically with the final design. To learn more about our foundations for solar panels and wind turbines, contact your local CHANCE distributor.