CHANCE® Combination (SS-RS) Helical Cast Transition
The transition section adapts type Square Shaft (SS) helical lead sections to type Round
Shaft (RS) extensions. The type RS-SS combination transition is used mainly in compression applications in areas where soft/loose soils are located above hard/ dense soils. The type RS material is less susceptible to buckling, provides greater lateral capacity, and greater moment capacity, than type SS material.
A square shaft lead will allow better penetration of the helices into hard/dense material than round shaft (RS). SS reduces the occurrence of “spin-out” (loss of thrust of helices).
- Tapered design allows for smoother transition
- Reduced installing time (no tool change)
- Transition matches torque and compression capacity of respective shafts
- Standard hardware with SS extensions
- Faster lead time and availability of SS
- Meet project specifications with RS & SS
- Spin-Out prevention
- Inventory turnover by using existing SS Leads
- Major cost savings over old SS to RS Transition
The design should be prepared by a Registered Professional Engineer.