The Helical Pile Installation Process
The CHANCE Helical Pulldown Micropile Installation Process
Hubbell is the world’s leading helical anchoring and foundation manufacturer. Backed by over 100 years of engineering experience. The CHANCE Helical Pile System is a patented, deep foundation solution that is cost effective and offers higher capacity than standard helical systems.
The Process is Simple
- The screw pile is placed in the soil by applying torque to the shaft.
- The helical shape of the bearing plates creates a pulling force that keeps the helical piles advancing down into the soil. The helical pile is not an auger, but screws in with little disturbance to the soil.
- After the lead section penetrates the soil, a lead displacement plate and extension shaft are bolted onto the lead shaft.
- A grout reservoir is placed at the surface. This reservoir can be PVC pipe, steel pipe, laminated fiber tube, or other construction materials.
- Resuming torque on the assembled shaft advances the helical plates, pulling the displacement plate into the soil. This forces soil outward to create a cylindrical void around the shaft.
- The void is filled immediately by the gravity flow of grout from the reservoir above to surround and encapsulate the shaft.
- Additional extension shaft and displacement plates are added until the helical bearing plates reach load-bearing soil.
- This displacement method does not require the removal of any soil or spoils from the site.
- Skin friction mobilized along the grout column proved additional load capacity – a true composite pile, combining both friction and end bearing components.
The CHANCE Helical Pulldown Micropile can achieve high capacities in various soft, loose soils overlying competent load-bearing strata. Whether you are underpinning an existing structure that has settled, needing a high capacity foundation for a limited access site, or even building a new structure on poor surface soils, installing CHANCE Helical Pulldown Micropile gives you a cost effective deep foundation solution.
Watch the video to view the complete helical pulldown micropile installation process.